"This cake is nothing short of awesome: lemony, crumbly, slightly sweet, with bursts of blueberries in every bite. Perfect for breakfast or as a snack with your afternoon coffee."
Total Servings: 8
- 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup fine cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt (lowfat is fine, but not nonfat
- 1 lemon, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of a 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper and spray the bottom and sides with cooking spray (I like Spectrum's Coconut Oil Spray, gives it a bit of a coco-nutty feel).
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl whisk the sugar, oil, egg, yogurt, lemon juice and grated rind. Fold in the flour mixture until combined. Add the blueberries.
- Transfer the mixture to the cake pan and bake for 35 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- With a knife, loosen the edges before inverting the cake into the serving plate. Enjoy with vanilla ice cream or blueberry compote, or both!
*Based off a recipe from the US Highbush Blueberry Council