"I was fortunate enough to have my boss give me some of his gorgeous zucchinis from his garden. Instead of the same old recipes I decided to make a light lasagna with other summer vegetables. This recipe isn't heavy and loaded with cheese and cream. Rather you make a low fat bechamel sauce and saute the vegetables. Any seasonal vegetables will work with this recipe. It's a great weeknight dinner and perfect for Meatless Mondays!"
Total Servings: 6
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (from about 2 ears), or frozen and thawed
- 2 cups béchamel sauce (see directions and recipe below)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 0 Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced white onion
- 3 zucchinis or summer squash or whatever you have, thinly sliced, lengthwise, (I scoop out the seeds since they release a lot of water)
- 1 poblano peppers, charred, peeled, stemmed, seeded and cut into 1-inch strips
- 12 (7 by 3-inch) no-boil lasagna sheets- or fresh pasta sheets
- 2 cups part skim shredded mozzarella
For the béchamel sauce: Put 2 cups 1% milk and 3 heaping tablespoons of flour into a large saucepan and whisk until the flour is dissolved. Heat over a medium-high heat,stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil and is thickened, about8 minutes. Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium, heavy sauce pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Mix in the corn and saute for 5 minutes. Stir in the béchamel sauce and thyme. Cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes for the flavors to incorporate. Turn off the heat and let cool slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
Spread about 1/4 of the corn mixture over the bottom of a9x13-inch baking dish. Cover with a layer of lasagna sheets. Spread 1/4 of the poblano/zucchini mixture and 1/4 of the cheese over the pasta. Repeat the layering 3 more times. Cover with foil.
Bake until the pasta is cooked and tender, about 50minutes. Remove the foil and turn up the oven temperature to broil. Broil until golden brown and bubbly, 8 to 10 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. **If you’re using fresh pasta sheets it will take less time and the baking instructions differ- follow instructions on the package.