"I owe this recipe to my lovely mother in law back home in Mexico City. It's the perfect side dish and takes no time."
Total Servings: 6
- 2 cups white cooked rice
- 2 poblano pepper, charred, without skins or seeds, cut into strips
- 1/4 white onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tsp chicken consomme (preferred brands: Maggi or Knorr) or 1 boulillon cube
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 3/4 cup grated mild cheddar cheese
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and sauté the onions, garlic and poblano strips until tender. Let them cool slightly.
- Add the mixture to the cream, water, and chicken consomme and put it all in a blender; process until smooth.
- In a bowl, mix the processed mixture to the rice and half a cup of the grated cheese and pour into a greased baking dish. Top it with the remaining cheese and bake, at 400ºF, until the cheese is melted, or about 10 minutes depending on your oven.