"I recently had the joy of being in Yucatán... Cancun sounds familiar to someone? =) One of the best places we dine at, is called Labná, in the center of Cancun. Its and old style restaurant with very traditional yucatecan food. And of course I tried a very traditional Sopa de Lima (Lime soup) and I was delighted... Back home, I tried to recreated it, and searched for recipes everywhere. Here's the best one I've got! enjoy!"
Total Servings: 4
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 1/2 medium white onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 lb skinless boneless chicken or turkey thighs, cut into large chunks
- - FOR THE SOUP AND GARNISH
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into 1 inch strips
- 2 tbsp cooking oil, plus more for shallow frying
- 1/2 medium white onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 plum tomato, minced
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1 lime, thinly sliced
- - salt to taste
- Pour the broth into a small pot, add the onion, garlic slices, oregano and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add the turkey/chiken, lower the heat to medium and simmer until the meat is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Remove the turkey and place it in a bowl to cool slightly. Strain the broth and set aside. When the turkey is cook enough, shred it into bite-sized pieces. Reserve.
- Line a plate or baking tray with paper towels. Heat 1/2 inch of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Test the oil by adding a strip of the tortilla. If it sizzles, its ready. Add the strips in batches and cook until golden brown. Scoop them out and place them on the lined tray. Reserve.
- Heat the 2 tbsp of oil in a small pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in the chopped garlic, tomatoes and chile and cook until the vegetables are very soft, about 3 minutes longer. Pour in the strained broth and the lime juice and bring to a boil. Add the shredded turkey/chicken and lime slices and stir to warm through. Season with salt to taste and serve topped with fried tortilla strips.